Monday, November 23, 2009

Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies Part I

So while I was in Chicago I tried Mindy Segal's bacon chocolate chip cookies. I was impressed. However I didn't like the style of chocolate chip cookie- hers were thin and crispy, and I like my chocolate chip cookie thicker and chewier. I wanted to send something to my brother for his birthday anyway, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to experiment.

I used Carole Walter's recipe in Great Cookies for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies as a starting point. I made candied bacon in the oven by just crumbling brown sugar over strips of bacon. I followed the recipe exactly, only instead of adding walnuts at the end, I added the cut up bacon.

All in all, they tasted delicious. The bacon was not overpowering, and really complimented the brown sugar-chocolate flavor. However there are some things I need to improve upon- I need to at least halve the salt in the recipe because the bacon adds a lot of saltiness, and I am going to lose the oats. I thought they would be good with it, but it didn't really add anything. You're already eating a fucking bacon chocolate chip cookie, I don't think you need to worry about making it healthier.

There will be a next time, oh yes, there will be a next time.... I am not through with you, beautiful thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment