Thursday, May 6, 2010

Pastry classes, Day 10

We had a substitute teacher on Day 10- Chef Tom. I am a huge fan of Chef Tom. He was a lot more patient than Chef Claudia and Chef Isra. And I don't know if it was just the curriculum for that particular class, but I felt like I learned more too. Don't get me wrong, I really like Chef Claudia (I don't particularly like Chef Isra) but they all have different teaching styles.

We also got to make two different kinds of chocolate tarts, so I am NOT going to hate on that.

Chocolate Ganache Tart. This is essentially intense chocolate poured into a flaky crust, and set. This was incredibly easy to make (pour heavy cream over chocolate, butter, trimoline, pour into mold, set) and very delicious. I could eat this for breakfast every day.















Chocolate Bavarian Tart. A lot more complicated to make, but very good. Bavarian cream = creme anglaise + gelatin + creme fouette. These are the things I get to learn! I learn a couple of little building blocks and I can put them together in so many ways, its really cool. Very complicated things can get broken down into simple explanations. I know how to make creme anglaise, and creme fouette, and I know in general how to go about combining all of them. Voila- a chocolate bavarian tart!

This was very good. Like chocolate pudding with more cream and a bit more jello-y in a tart? Maybe thats a good explanation. It has a pudding like consistency, that when it hits the temperature of your mouth melts into creamy chocolate. Its good. Eating-all-of-it-so-Adam-wouldn't-know-how-much-I actually-ate-when-he sees-it-in-the-morning good.



1 comment: