Monday, May 24, 2010

Pastry classes, Days 11-12

Day 11

Dried Cherry Sablee Cookies. There was not much to these. It is essentially a flavored shortbread dough that we cut into different shapes. We brushed it with a kirsch and powdered sugar glaze.














Caramel- Nut Tart. This was pretty excellent. Pate sucree dough. We then made a caramel sauce using a wet caramel, then added cream, milk, glucose, and walnuts, to make a caramel - nut sauce thing. The whole time I was making it, I was thinking how good it would be on my morning oatmeal. We spread the cooled mixture in the tart shell, spread some almond cream on top, and baked it. The almond cream made a nice crust on top, so it turned into almost a filled pie. It was delicious!














Mini "Tart tatin". This was used an example of what to do with leftover pastry dough. We made a dry caramel (it was caramel day), poured it into molds. Then placed apples in it, with cut sucree on top. Once it was baked, we flipped them over, revealing a shell with gooey caramel apples in it. I might over burnt my caramel a little too much - it was a bit more bitter than I would have liked. There was nothing to stop the cooking process, so you had to intuit 30 seconds before it would be done. I don't think I got that part down. It was still really tasty though.














My after school snack: (note how the caramel nut tart looks on the inside!)














Day 12



No comments:

Post a Comment