Sunday, September 27, 2009

"Deconstructed Butternut Squash Risotto"

Butternut squash is one of my favorite things to eat when it starts to get cold, so I've been making it a lot lately. I made a butternut squash risotto the other day that didn't turn out as well as when I had made it last year, but we all can't be winners all the time.

So I decided to do something to the risotto effect (but not really) by making something like creamy polenta with pan-roasted butternut squash and goat cheese. I used a little something in my spice cabinet I like to call IMPROVISATION! I followed the recipe for polenta on the back of the cornmeal bag (1 C cornmeal, 3 C. water) but I added cream and butter and parmesan at the end because why the fuck not. And I don't like when it gets gelatinous. So they were more like grits I guess.

In the theme of the Top Chef episode this week, I would like to call it "deconstructed butternut squash risotto", and like most of the contestants on Top Chef, lose sight of the challenge completely and not make what the challenge called for, but something tasty nonetheless.

All in all, it was really tasty, and just the kind of warm comfort food that I need when the weather begins to change. Too bad Adam had to work late that night- SUCCCKKAAAAAAA!




No comments:

Post a Comment