Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kaffir Lime Leaf Bombe with Bubble Tapioca and Lime Zest Powder

Adam bought me this book, Frozen Desserts by Francisco Migoya, for my birthday over a year ago. It is an amazing and inspiring book. Essentially a textbook, using professional kitchen equipment, in restaurant portions, with hard to find ingredients - I thought of it more as a picture and inspiration book than something I would actually make a recipe out of. However Adam is incredibly persistent to the point of being obnoxious when he wants something. And he really wanted me to make a "Kaffir Lime Leaf Bombe with Bubble Tapioca and Lime Zest Powder" for over a year. So I made it.

To make it, over a year I had to acquire the following, which I did not have before. While most of these items I wanted to get anyway, I also had this recipe in mind.
- stand mixer
- candy thermometer
- scale
- bombe flexi-molds
- kaffir lime leaves (not sold in most supermarkets)
- bubble tapioca (not sold in most supermarkets)

So I made this the other day, and I would have to say I impressed myself. It required a lot of precision in timing, but I read the recipe over and over again and came up with a game plan. The only problem I kept running into was that I didn't know if what I was doing was right. It required me doing and knowing a lot of things I have never done before and don't know how to do. I wish Francisco was there with me. I bet he's really uptight, though.

The only thing I would do differently is not put as much gelatin in. Instead of using gelatin sheets, I used the Knox gelatin, and I think my conversion was off. But again, I have no idea what it was supposed to be like, so who knows, maybe it was supposed to have the texture of frozen fluff.

Adam was very happy, as was I that I challenged myself.





1 comment:

  1. looks awesome. how'd it taste?

    what did you use for a conversion rate? the knox gelatin is a little stronger. so, that needs to be factored in too.

    ReplyDelete