Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sesame Seed Cake

I absolutely love the book Pure Dessert by Alice Medrich. Her recipes are perfectly written, easily adaptive, and really good. Everything I have made from her book I absolutely love, as do those who reap the benefits of my baking. I was intrigued by her recipe for Sesame Seed Cake, so I thought I'd give it a go.

This is essentially your standard layer cake recipe using the creaming method, only with a different and much more interesting outcome. It is a single layer, uniced, stand alone cake. Which is something I really love, because its like saying hey this is a really fucking good cake on its own and you should TASTE it- it doesn't need anything. It is inspiring- I want to see what else I can add in this recipe- different spices? walnut oil? chestnuts?

While it is exceptional on its own- buttery and moist, velvety with the interruption of sesame seeds, toasty and complicated- I also served it with some sliced mango and vanilla ice cream. I think it would also be good with honey or a light chocolate ice cream. Or maybe a fruit sorbet too.

I have posted the recipe, in somewhat abbreviated form, below. Just because it's that good.

SESAME SEED CAKE
by Alice Medrich in Pure Dessert

Everything should be room temp:
1 C. AP flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 lg eggs
2.5 t. toasted sesame oil
1 t. pure vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. buttermilk
1/4 C. toasted sesame seeds

Oven to 350, butter and line an 8" cake pan.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt 3 times. Set aside. Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and sesame oil. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar together. Gradually add the egg mixture. Alternate the flour mixture, in three additions with the buttermilk. Stop to scrape after each addition. Do not overbeat. Add sesame seeds with the last addition of the dry ingredients.

Pour into the pan, and bake about 35 minutes.





1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy. Going to try it this weekend. Nice presentation with the Marlin bill ----
    love you, Phoebe

    ReplyDelete