Saturday, February 6, 2010

Semolina Bread... with beef stew

I have been trying out a variety of bread recipes from different sources. The first book I used a couple years ago was the Tassajara bread book, which is good but for hippies. The bread was too healthy tasting, and not very interesting. Then I started using Jim Lahey's no-knead bread recipe, because I got a Le Creuset dutch oven- holla!. Thats my go-to bread recipe, but it takes a lot of time, and I am not good at anticipating my desire for bread 13 hours in advance. So I was up for something new.

So I decided to make a recipe out of Bakewise by Shirley O. Corriher for Semolina bread. This is a great book for someone who is interested in understanding why things happen in baking. It is a great resource, and I have been using it as a textbook lately. Especially to figure out what goes wrong with product at Magnolia sometimes. It has taught me the science behind baking, and how important it truly is for the equation to add up. Dorking out time.

So I made it, and really liked it. It's hard for me to know if I am doing something right when I am making bread. I am not at all an expert, and want to know more about how the dough should look and feel at certain stages. One of the interesting things about this recipe is that it requires part of a tablet of Vitamin C- apparently this has something to do with the bread's rise. This made me slightly suspicious- do other bread bakers ever use Vitamin C? Despite this, I thought it came out pretty well, and tasted damn good too. And it went well with the beef stew I made.






No comments:

Post a Comment